It is very important to set up a testing workspace for your WordPress website. It’s too dangerous, there are many problems in experimenting themes and plugins to your live website. It may lead to change in permalink structure, change in the media folder file path, RSS feed redirection and many more. So, You will be hardly in need of that in order to test your new plugins and themes to get installed. There are several ways to get mirrored your website in both local and online on your hosting. Here I would share my experience on creating a mirror site of your WordPress blog with the same domain.
Steps to Mirror your WordPress site
- First, log in to your Hosting Account.
- For Godaddy users, choose My Account → Web Hosting → Launch.
- You will be redirected to the Web Hosting Manager.
- Choose FTP → FTP Manager, you will redirect to FTP files with ” /(root)” folder.
- Create a “new folder” into the Root Folder.
- Here, I name the new Folder as “Test“.
- Upload the WordPress installation files into the “Test” folder.
- Now, create a duplicate copy of “Config.php” of your live WordPress blog in the Root Folder. It will be created like “Config-copy.php“.
- Now, move the newly create duplicate “Config-copy.php” into the “Test” folder.
- Rename the “Config-copy.php” into “Config.php“.
- Now, Go to http://yourdomain.com/test you will get intimated to complete the WordPress Installation.
- Let everything be as it is, just change the Table index from “wp_” into “test_“.
- Follow the rest as like your default WordPress installation.
Importing all your WordPress Posts, Pages and [Many More]
- Log in to your WordPress Account.
- Go to Tools → Export.
- “All Content” will get selected by default, and click Download Export File.
- Follow the same process as we said in step 2, but this time choose”Import”.
- You will get the list of Blogging Platforms like Blogger, Tumblr and WordPress. Here, click WordPress to import all your posts and other contents as a “.XML” file.
- You will be redirected to download WordPress Importer plugin, to import all the contents.
- After importing, enter into the WordPress Dashboard of your Test Site.
- Here, choose the Import and upload the .XML file.
- Now, you will get all your Posts, Pages and all other contents.
That’s all, the mirror of your WordPress site is created successfully. Hope! This is the best way to creating a testing environment for your WordPress blog.